Our Commitment to Privacy
We will not sell, share, or pass your personal data in ways different from what is disclosed in this policy. Your personal data will not be disclosed to government institutions and authorities unless required by law or other regulation.
About Us and This Website
We are an independently-owned, US-based corporation that provides video training courses for software developers through this Website. Our contact details are:
The Pragmatic Studio
P.O. Box 3695
Parker, CO 80134
Information We Collect
You can access and browse our Website without disclosing your personal data.
We only collect the personal data that you volunteer while using our services. We do not collect information about our visitors from other sources, such as public records or bodies, or private organizations.
Our systems store three main categories of data: purchasing information, account information, and course progress information. We store this data in order to provide service and support to our customers.
When purchasing courses via our Website, you will need to provide the following personal data:
- E-mail address
- Billing address
- Credit card number, expiration, and CVV value
Optionally, you may provide a purchase order number (or other identifying number) to be included as part of your receipt.
We store the name, e-mail address, billing address, and purchase order number as a record of your order. We do not store your credit card information. In fact, your credit card information never passes through our Website. It is captured directly by our payment gateway provider, Braintree Payments. As a record of the transaction, we do store the type of payment you make (credit card, Paypal, etc.) and any confirmation numbers returned to us by our payment gateway provider.
Also as part of the order, we store the products that you purchased, when they were purchased, any discounts or coupons used, and the net, tax, and total amount you paid. You can see information related to your purchases by logging in to your account.
When you purchase a course, we associate that order with a new or your existing account and store the following account-related information in our system:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address
- A one-way salted hash of your account password (from which the password itself cannot be reasonably recovered)
- An optional username you provide in order to personalize the URL to your alumni page
- The name of the company indicated on your most recent order
- The date and time of your last login, and a count of the number of logins
- The date and time your account was created
- The date and time your account was activated
- The data and time you last edited your account information
- A yes/no flag indicating whether you want to be sent emails about updates to courses you own (you may opt-out at any time)
- A yes/no flag indicating whether you want to be sent emails with information on new courses, promotions, and other relevant information (you may opt-out at any time)
You can see and change information related to your account (such as name, e-mail address, and password) and access the courses you own by logging in to your account.
We use account-related information to send e-mail notifications. For example, by changing your account information you can opt in to receive an e-mail when a course you own has been updated. You can also opt in to receive e-mails with information on new courses, promotions, and other relevant information.
Course Progress Information
While taking a specific course, we record and store the following information in our system so you can track your progress:
- The date and time you completed each step (video, exercise, etc.) of a course
- The date and time you completed a course
You can see your course progress by logging in to your account.
Our Website automatically logs the IP addresses of Website visitors for maintenance and debugging purposes. The log files containing IP addresses are automatically removed every 2 weeks.
Access To Your Personal Data
Most of the personal data we store is readily available on your account page of our Website. To request a copy of your personal data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Retention and Deleting Data
We do not automatically expire your data. Doing so would impair our ability to provide you with access to courses you purchased. Specifically, deleting your personal data has the following ramifications:
- If you purchased any courses from us, you will not be able to access them via our Website since you will no longer have an account.
- You will no longer get updates to the courses you purchased since we won't know that you own them.
- You will no longer be eligible for possible upgrade coupons since we won't know that you owned the previous version of the course.
Some data cannot be deleted or modified. For example, purchase records and certain identifying information must be kept in accordance with various taxation authority and other governmental requirements. In these cases, we will remove all traces of your identity from our system, and will replace your personal data with references to a single, internal, anonymous user.
You may request that we delete all the data we store for a given account by emailing us at email@example.com. We will confirm that you want all your personal data deleted. Deleting your data from our system is a one-way process. Once it is removed, we cannot recover it.
Access to Your Data
Access to your data is controlled at the following levels:
- All employees of The Pragmatic Studio are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your personal data.
- Our payment processor (Braintree Payments) handles all payment-specific data. For this to work, we pass them order details including your name, email, address, and total purchase price. Our Website uses an SSL encrypted link, along with other security measures, when transmitting your personal information to our payment processor.
- Our e-mail marketing campaigns are handled by Campaign Monitor. If you have elected to receive e-mails about updates to courses you own or e-mails with information on new courses, promotions, and other relevant information, then we will include your e-mail address in our mailing list on Campaign Monitor. If you opt-out by clicking the "unsubscribe" link included in our marketing e-mails, then your e-mail address will be added to their suppression list.
- Our hosting provider (Rackspace) might possibly be able to access data (for example as it passes through their internal networks). All external information flow is encrypted using SSL.
We have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that is under our control from: (a) unauthorized access, (b) improper use or disclosure, and (c) unauthorized modification.
Our Website and Children
Our Website may contain links to other websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites, as this privacy statement applies solely to the Website. We encourage our users to remain vigilant when they leave our Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information.
We use Google Analytics to measure the use of our Website. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit our Website, what pages they visit when they do so, and so on. We use this information to better understand how our Website is being used and organize the information it contains.
We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with personally identifiable information. We do not store any Google Analytics data locally on this Website. Google Analytics is the data controller for the data they collect.
If you are a citizen of the European Union, our responsibilities regarding your data are spelled out in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We believe we have taken the necessary measures to conform to this regulation.
As well, the three "Processors" (as defined under the GDPR) we use (Braintree Payments, Campaign Monitor, Rackspace) have all indicated to us that they have taken the appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure that their processing of personal data is also performed in compliance with GDPR.